Sunday, March 7, 2010

Bedroom redo, part I




















































I decided a few months ago that I needed to decorate my master bedroom, being as we have lived in the house for almost four years now. I really do like the LLBean quilt on my bed and it seemed silly to not utilized it further, so I set about trying to think of a low cost way to add some modernity and color to my room. I fell in love with Amy Butler's Nigella Collection, from Imagine Fabrics, and decided to order four different prints and incorporate them into the room in different ways.

First of all, I wanted to add some color above the bed but I am afraid of heavy things falling on my head during an earthquake. My father is a geologist and I grew up in Panama and Southern California, so I have experienced many earthquakes. I realized that I could do something with fabric that would be colorful and lightweight and fell upon this idea, above, to use quilt hoops as wall decor. These are from Michael's Craft Stores and they were only between $1.50 and $4.00 each. They are not perfect to me, but they will do. I don't like the large hoop's wooden closure but I am trying not to focus on it as all larger hoops have them.

So, as you can see above, I utilized three of the four Nigella prints in this project and I love it! I think it adds a fun and colorful element to the room.

My next project is to take the fourth Nigella print, Passion Vine Lime, and make a valence for my window. That should be done soon!







3 comments:

  1. Very pretty. I'd never though of using fabrics as wall dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy! I LOVE the wall hanging! Been wanting to do the same in squares, but I could not find good frames here. Your round ones are unique and very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! They are round quilting hoops, from Amazon.com.

    ReplyDelete