Saturday, May 1, 2010

I hate rib knit as binding

I officially have a hate-hate relationship with the rib knit I bought to do bindings.  I will not name the company I bought it from but it does not have release in it to stretch back to where it should be.  I worked on this Ottobre nightgown in several ways before giving up on the rib knit bound neckline.  Because I had to cut it off, it made the neckline of the dress too wide.  I solved the problem by using the same lycra as on the sleeves for a wide, v-neck.  It is not perfect but it looks ok.  (especially from a distance)

I also decided not to use the rib knit on the cuffs and just did a simple rolled hem for the cuffs and skirt hem.

I think it turned out ok.  It will function nicely as a nightgown for an almost three year old.  It is, at least, a nightgown not covered in fire retardants and not made from polyester.  That, in itself, is a good thing.  And, someday, I will try this pattern again with a different brand of rib knit.



Pattern is from Ottobre 6/2009, # 36

No comments:

Post a Comment