Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Getting organized and a bit of sewing

So, the theme of the new year is new beginnings and, of course, you cannot begin anew if your work space is a mess.   So, today, I took a look at my sewing area.   This is what I saw:

Sewing table, notions drawers, and work area = MESSY!!!

Fabric everywhere!!!  Box for new sewing machine still out!

What a mess!  I decided it had to be cleaned up but I would work on this organizational project in steps.  Step one, clean up the basic clutter so I can actually sew. 

Ah.  Much better.  The grey boxes are outgrown clothing from my girls' closets.  I need to sort through them, in the next few weeks, and sell it all on ebay or take them to a consignment store.  When those bins are empty, I am going to organize my woven fabrics and knit fabrics so that the shelf next to my sewing machine has only the fabric for upcoming projects.  Everything else will go in those bins.  Until I get a better storage system, this is how I do it.  I open the bins enough that the fabric gets aired frequently.  So, it is safe and sound in those bins.  

I did not take a picture of the work area because that is still a mess.  I am finishing up some projects and will clean it when they are done and I can better organize.  Today, I made cloth napkins and placemats for my parents.   On the new machine, it was a breeze!  I made four of the placemats you see below and four of each kind of napkin. 

Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Beginnings

 It has been over a month since I lasted posted.  In that time, my sewing machine, a 20 year old basic Singer, has given me a lot of grief.  Thus, began the path towards a new sewing machine.  I thought it would take me a while to save up the money to buy the one I wanted but my lovely husband threw some into the pot from his bonus and I was able to buy my dream machine, a Janome Memory Craft 5200.  

 Isn't she loverly!   

And she has all these stitches and more on the back of this card.  I am just thrilled with her capabilities and power and her quiet, strong motor.  A huge step.

So, to begin to use her, I decided to make a few of these Bit of Whimsy Mermae dolls.  I bought the pattern from her website and the pdf came right away.  It is a well-written pattern with lots of good hints.  I especially liked the Youtube video about embroidering the face.  It has been a while since I did any emberoidery!

So, here is the finished doll.  This is dolly #2.  The first doll was a rough draft, so to speak.  This one, I have been told, is not perfect  But, I think she came out pretty cute and her next mates will be even better.

I like the zigzag stitch feature on the new machine.  
It was very simple and easy to sew this bodice top.

Sewing her face together was not hard at all, thanks to the video on embroidery.  


The new machine has such lovely stitches, including this one we all think looks like waves.

So, look for more stuff happening in Kathy's sewing area starting today.

Happy New Year!